Calling all NA/EU Hackers!
Let's work together to save our ecosystem by creating hacks that advance sustainability or encourage sustainable behaviour.
Whether you build something on the theme or not, focus on having fun. While we'd love to have you build something on the theme, our themes are only here for inspiration. Please build whatever you'd like!
If you're from the APAC region, we'd love for you to join another one of our amazing hackathons which are more time-friendly for your region: FinHack 2
- We require all teams to submit a 2 minute or less demo video.
- Your code must be available in some sort of public repository.
- Your code and video must remain public post event if you want to continue being eligible for prizes. If your repo and video are not public we will select new winners.
- Your demo video must state the name of the hackathon at the beginning of the video.
- Ex. "Hey I'm Sam and this is my demo for CorgiHacks."
- You must have completed all the registration steps on Devpost.
- Note that Hosted by MLH events require registration on MLH's event page.
- Your email on both platforms must match.
- Your video must be created the weekend of the hackathon.
- We do allow you to submit your project to other hackathons (this weekend only) as long as the other hackathon also allows this.
- You can no longer submit project that include prior work to prize categories. However, at SustainHacks, you can submit prior work to the "Best Recycled Hack" prize category.
- There is no maximum or minimum team size but we've noticed that teams perform best when they have a maximum of 4 hackers.
JBL Go Speaker + MLH Season Tee + MLH Fellowship Fast Track
Anker Soundcore Wireless Earbuds + MLH Season Tee + MLH Fellowship Fast Track
Anker PowerCore Portable Charger + MLH Season Tee + MLH Fellowship Fast Track
Energy Saver Hack!
Energy efficiency is of utmost importance to attain our sustainability goals. The team with the best hack this weekend that contributes to energy saving, wins smart LED bulbs!
Best Recycled Hack
Reduce, reuse and recycle is the mantra of waste management which contributes positively to sustainability. The best recycled hack (one that was built earlier but has been made better this weekend) this weekend takes home recycled journal notebooks.
Best Domain Name from Domain.com
Register a .Tech domain name using Domain.com during the weekend for your chance to win a Domain.com branded backpack for you and each member of your team! Each team may submit one entry per person on the team. The more creative the domain the better!
Most Creative Use of Twilio
Twilio allows you to incorporate mobile messaging, phone calls and a ton of other awesome communication features right into your hackathon project using a web service API. Are you building an e-commerce website and want to send text notifications or email confirmations once an order is completed? Or maybe you'd like to verify users based on their mobile numbers? Twilio makes all this possible and more. Build a hack that simplifies your life using any Twilio API for a chance to win some awesome prizes! Get started with $50 in free credit!
Best Use of Microsoft Cloud for Your Community
Build your hackathon project with the Microsoft Cloud that tackles a social impact issue of your choice, and have a chance to win a LinkedIn Premium 12-Month subscription and an XBox Ultimate 3-Month Game Pass.
Best Accessibility Hack sponsored by Fidelity
At Fidelity, accessibility is viewed as a major key to the success of their business, which is why they are challenging you to come up with innovative ways to make tech more accessible! We want you to use your hacking skills to find and build solutions that put opportunities and resources within reach to all communities. The team with the best accessibility hack will win a Fidelity branded wireless charger for each team member!
Best Sustainability Hack sponsored by Avanade
Avanade has put sustainable tech at the forefront of their ongoing mission! Sustainability is about conserving an ecological balance by avoiding depletion of natural resources and focusing efforts to reduce and improve the environmental impact of technology, processes, and operations on our planet and society. For your hackathon project, we want you to make a genuine human impact using your ingenuity to address sustainability through an innovative use of technology. Demonstrate how you can create a more sustainable future and help the environment. As an added bonus, the team with the best sustainability hack will be rewarded with awesome lego sets!
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Major League Hacking
Has this project been done before at hackathons in the past? How creative is their project in solving the problem at hand?
Adherence to Theme
Does the hack adhere to the event's theme? Does it implement that theme fully or just partially?
Does the hack work? Did the team achieve everything they wanted?
Did the team stretch themselves? Did they try to learn something new? What kind of projects have they worked on before?
Did the team put thought into the user experience? How well designed is the interface?
How technically impressive was the hack? Was the technical problem the team tackled difficult? Did it use a particularly clever technique or did it use many different components? Did the technology involved make you go "Wow"?